Stop #5 – The Adkins and Bitting Houses
2101 & 2105 West Club Boulevard
At 2101 West Club Boulevard is the M.T. Adkins House, and next to it at 2105 is the nearly identical N.D. Bitting House.
Both houses were built around 1915 for Durham physicians who wished to live near the new hospital.
Note the prairie influence in the deep overhang of their roofs, the hip-roofed attic dormers, and the strong emphasis in horizontal lines.
The wrap-around porches are supported by finely tapered pylons typical to American homes of the early part of this century.
Once there was a third house—that of Dr. James McCracken—similar to these two. It was pulled down around 1960 to make space for Westwood Baptist Church.
Written by Tom Miller.