Stop #9 – The Barton House
2321 West Club Boulevard
In its simple design, this house is perhaps one of the most elegant homes on West Club Boulevard.
The living space in the house is confined to the main floor, but is sheltered by deep engaged porches under a broad cross-gabled roof.
Note the front-facing pediment with its simple window supported by four decorative corbels—a hint of Japanese design.
Especially elegant, however, is the long, uninterrupted slope of the roof running the entire length of the house on either side.
The interior of the house is decorated with rich woodwork and moldings.
The house was built in the early 1920s for F.A. Hixon, manager of Woolworth’s department store downtown.
He did not long occupy the house, and in 1937, after a succession of owners, the house was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Barton, owners of the Barton Electric Company.
Written by Tom Miller.